Mountain Troops Mix and Match


Many years ago, Airfix released their set of German Mountain Troops and now we have the new set from Caesar. As you can see from the photo the Airfix guy with the rectangle base is just about the same size as the Caesar figure. The Caesar are a tiny bit larger and much more detailed.


The figures are close enough that I intend to mix the two sets together. The Airfix have several figures with ice axes and ropes doing mountain climbing things that the Caesar figures lack.



Klaus, how was the skiing on the Russian Front this year?



Of course, one of the most valuable figures in the Airfix set is not a man at all. Mr. Ed is one of the few pack animals in plastic and he serves with many armies. Shown here with one of the Caesar fez wearing Mountain Troops.



Since I primarily do late war, I need a little extra punch for my mountain troops and so I have included a few metal bazooka troops. I got these from who knows where but since they had warm clothing they seemed to me to find a good mountain home with the mountain troops. It gives them a little more staying power when those American Sherman tanks crawl up the narrow Italian mountain roads.


Comments